Most people probably believe they are “normal” or “average” when it comes to describing their participation in social media. So what does that mean?
In an article on Mashable, the average Facebook user was described as being late 30s with “229 friends, of which 22% are from high school, 12% are co-workers, 9% are from college.” On average, 52% check-in daily while “26% of users ‘Like’ a friend’s status, 22% comment on a friend’s status and 15% update their own status.”
Let’s look beyond the numbers for a minute. In reviewing my Facebook friends list, I’ve come up with 10 characterizations of the different users whom I encounter. I’m not claiming these are good or bad, right or wrong. Don’t worry Facebook friends, you will remain anonymous and any similarities are strictly coincidental. 😉
- The Groundhog: makes an appearance once a year.
- The Soapboxer: believes their friends truly want to hear all of their views on politics and/or religion and that the more they share, the more likely they are to convince you.
- The Lurker: checks in, but rarely comments or shares.
- The TMI-er: treats Facebook like a personal diary and shares too much information, especially intimate information. Too Much Information!
- The Populist: has never turned-down a friend request and treats Facebook as a contest to see how many friends he/she can accumulate.
- The Reporter: treats Facebook as most treat LinkedIn or Twitter by posting all articles found.
- The Inspirationist: posting quotes and pictures that spreads positive energy throughout Facebookland. Arch-enemy to . . .
- The Complainer: they love to complain about their own issues and don’t have too may positives to say about others’ postings either. Facebook is their venting forum.
- The Tornado: a fury of activity for a short period of time followed by long stretches of inactivity. In Western, NY this is also known as “The Lake Effect.” 🙂
- The Advertiser: forgetting the rule of thumb that social media is not about selling their products/services the majority of the time, this user does exactly that.
So, who did I miss? Which one(s) are you?